Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Vicki Entering Life's Final Stages

Vicki entered into life's final stages over the past several days, according to nurses from Capital Hospice. She has shown multiple signs of the end of life processes such as an inability to eat or drink, and an inability to communicate. These signs have developed progressively and rapidly. The Hospice nurses tell us she could be in the last day or few days of her life. As you can imagine cancer has devasted all of us. Even though Vicki has fought this disease for neary three years, we could never prepare for such a demise.

Today the Hospice delivered a hospital bed and oxygen to make Vicki as comfortable as possible. We disassembled our queen-size bed and moved it out of the bedroom, and replaced it with the adjustable hospital bed. We also have an oxygen machine that connects to tubes and supplies Vicki with support for her breathing. Based on the directions from the Hospice doctors and nurses, we have discontinued all of Vicki's earlier medications. She now simply takes a liquid pain medication. Each of us have taken time to spend our alone time with Vicki. At this point she is non-responsive, however, her hearing will shut down last so we still speak to her.

Thanks to our good friend Jim and several other close friends we finalized plans for cemetery plots, funeral and memorial services, etc. Many, many other friends have helped us in so many ways that we cannot even count them. Our family continues to offer our thanks for such a wonderful community of friends and neighbors.

I took the photo of Vicki above on our honeymoon in April 1989. We married at Vicki's home church in Florence, SC on April 8th, 1989 and then took a week-long vacation at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Paul,

Lou Ann and I are (and have been) praying for you and Vicki, for your family, and for the friends that are at your side.

We thank God for you both, and thank Him for the help and comfort He is providing.

aberad said...

Paul,



Paul, I am praying for strength today for you and the girls. I am also praying for Vicki to sense the love of her wonderful family and that she would go into the arms of her loving Savior with grace. I would encourage you to be with her in these hours, to pray, to sing, read her favorite scriptures, and encourage her faith as well. You have been a faithful husband to Vicki and I am honored to be your friend. I remember this photo and that day in South Carolina with you and everyone else in the wedding party. Love,Abe


Psalm 63:1-8 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. 2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. 3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. 4 I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. 5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you. 6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. 7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. 8 My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me.

Anonymous said...

Paul,

I have no words to express the empathy I feel for your family. Unfortunately, I too have experienced great losses. Please contact me if I can help in any way.

Sincerely,
Sharon Adams
(Elizabeth and Adrienne's mom)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely photo, Paul, and what a beautiful life Vicki has led. She was a spunky 6th-grader, a thoughtful teenager, a determined Paladin and a good friend. There are so many wonderful memories of Vicki's music and laughter and fun--but there is no way for those of us who love her to survive this without deep sorrow and many, many tears.Peace to you and your girls and all the family.
Amy Mears